When we were tasked with choosing our favorite snacks from Asian grocer Umamicart, we thought, “UGH life is so hardddd.” Then we rushed to our computers and feverishly began filling out carts with everything that piqued our interest. About 2 hours later, we clicked “Place Order” and awaited our massive delivery of treats. After a few days (and a few food comas) we narrowed down the list to our 10 favorites. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it.
1. IRVINS Salted Egg Potato Chips are formulated by expert chefs in Singapore. Thinly sliced potatoes are fried to a golden crisp, mixed with real salted egg yolk, aromatic curry leaves, and vibrant red chili peppers. [Insert drool emoji here.]
2. Kettl's Matcha Chocolate is handcrafted with shade grown, stone milled Japanese matcha and Belgian white chocolate. The bold color, aroma and natural sweetness from this high grade matcha is unmatched. And since matcha is so good for your health, we’re declaring that this is a perfect addition to our summer diet.
3. A small batch sauce made in LA, Boon Chili Oil is made from a blend of chilies, spices, anchovies, shallots and garlic all cooked in a healthy sunflower oil. It has the perfect amount of spice and we now put it on just about everything we eat.
4. Ok, if we’re being honest, we’d buy the Okabe Kanikko Baby Crab Snack for the adorable packaging alone. Luckily they are also delicious - these real baby crabs are fried to the perfect crunchy texture, then seasoned with honey and other savory seasonings.
5. A classic we all know and love, Pocky. Don't know about you, but we could eat these all day, everyday. Lucky for you, Umamicart carries an assortment of flavors, and if you've never tried these sweet Japanese snacks, we recommend you order them all. Our personal favorite - the lesser known Honey Butter flavor.
6. We weren’t sure what to expect with the best-selling Kewpie Mayonnaise, but we were blown away. Made from egg yolk instead of whole egg, this gluten free spread is a perfect (read: better) substitute for literally anything that requires mayo. We’d tell you how fast we went through a bottle, but then we’d be embarrassed.
7. Umamicart has a wild, Willy Wonka-esque selection of potato chip flavors. Was choosing a favorite the hardest thing we’ve ever done? No, but it was close. From Grilled Squid to Mexican Chicken Tinga to Holy Basil, our taste buds were bombarded with strange new sensations and mind blowing flavors. They were all delicious, but our favorite was Lay’s Spicy Hot Pot.
8. For coffee lovers, the Copper Cow Best Brews Latte Sampler is a must-try. The box is filled with five different flavors of decadent Vietnamese coffee and sweetened condensed milk creamer. Flavors included in the sampler are classic, salted caramel, churro, lavender, and vanilla. We had an impassioned debate on which we loved the most, but couldn’t choose between churro and lavender.
9. The Kasugai Gummies from Japan are made with real fruit juice, and it shows. These little bite-sized candies are bursting with real fruit flavor, they may as well serve as your recommended daily fruit intake. We love the peach flavor, but truth be told, they're all equally juicy and delicious.
10. The new Umamicart Snack Subscription Box celebrates nostalgic childhood favorites and highlights unique and tasty new brands that are making a mark in Asian American food culture. Each month you get 20-25 curated snacks delivered to your door. Think Pepper Chicken Flavored Chips, Chili Lime Shrimp Crackers, and Matcha KitKats. Where do we sign up?
Our verdict? You can’t really go wrong with what you order at Umamicart. Their selection of delicious Asian products is second to none, and we struggled to narrow it down to our favorites. Whether you’re looking for sweets, savory snacks, or pantry staples, Umamicart has what you’re looking for. Not sure where to start? Try the Snack Subscription Box - it will help you discover new and exciting treats that you’d never experience otherwise. We can’t wait for our next one to arrive.